This post is an excerpt from the 6 Simple Steps for Managing a Successful YouTube Campaign breakout session at the Digital Marketing Conference in Los Angeles led by Rachel Klausner, Vice President of West Coast Sales at OpenSlate. The conference was a rich environment for digital marketers to openly discuss tactics for building a better online presence and tracking results. All of the content from the Digital Marketing Conference is available as Digital Marketing Videos.
YouTube is the largest UGC video platform and reaches more 18- to 34-year-olds than any US cable television network.
Three pillars to brand coverage on YouTube
- Branded original content
- Pre-roll ads
- Search activity
Three ways to buy YouTube pre-roll advertising
- Reservation ads Reservation media is 15 or 30 second fixed unskippable video ads based on a CPM with an audience guarantee – similar to how advertisers buy TV.
- Programmatic buying
Adwords are the most popular. When you buy Adwords, it is typically a skippable :30 TrueView unit. Advertisers are charged at the 30 second viewpoint or upon ad completion, whichever comes first. It is charged on a cost per view (CPV) which is a much more cost-effective efficient, auction-based model. YouTube has recently also released a 6-second bumper ad, which is mostly showing on mobile.
You can also buy through DoubleClick Bid Manager (DBM) on a cost per view (CPV) TrueView model.
Three main ways to own your YouTube content
Every brand should have their own YouTube channel that they update regularly.
- Create your channel Every brand should have their own YouTube channel that they update regularly.
- Reach out to creators that have already established their audience
- Work with influencers for digital PR/outreach
A MCN (multi-channel network) like Maker Studios, represents thousands of top YouTube creators that want to collaborate with brands. Brands can connect with these partners and they can learn about your messaging, while helping you produce custom content that lives both on that creator’s channel and that you have the rights to distribute yourself (including putting paid media behind it). It’s a way to have more content out there by someone who has lots of followers.
On YouTube, many creators are just starting and trying to build their channels through content production. If you are just starting, find other people who are up-and-coming in your category. These emerging influencers most likely will not charge you and will be thrilled to create something for you in exchange for a free product. If that influencer becomes a YouTube star six months from now, the earned media value that you have just earned from reaching out to them early is amazing. This is great to consider if you do not have a large production budget.
The process for a successful YouTube campaign
Find a top YouTube creator to make original content featuring your brand and then distribute that content as an ad.
- Understand what your customers are watching
- Research your audience on YouTube and discover the right channels for ads or collaboration
- Find your brand feel for your YouTube campaign and ask yourself, “would my CEO be proud to see our ad if they were watching this channel?”
- Determine what content works and what’s trending right now for your target audience
- Create videos around the themes in the content your audience is watching
- Find a top YouTube creator to make original content featuring your brand and then distribute that content as an ad