Table of Contents
What is content marketing?
Content marketing focuses on creating valuable content that answers your customers’ questions.
- A non-salesy marketing strategy that focuses on helping prospects better to understand a topic/issue
- Creating valuable content that answers your customers’ questions
- Getting the customer’s attention by adding value instead of selling
Types of content brands create:
- Blog posts
- How-to guides
Why do brands use content marketing?
- Build thought leadership
- Attract prospects
- Increase conversions
- Become a trusted source
- Valuable and relevant content can bypass ad blockers
- Long tail search traffic
- Saves time (automate your FAQs)
Content marketing stats
- 85% of top performing marketers deliver content consistently over time
- 80% of business decision-makers prefer to get company information in a series of articles versus an advertisement
- 200 million+ people now use ad blockers, including about 16% of the US population
Source: Content Marketing Institute
Brands leveraging content marketing:
- Procter & Gamble
- American Express
- John Deere
- Red Bull
- Virgin Mobile
Content marketing tip
“Effective content provides clear value and encourages consumers to engage further by driving them elsewhere.” –Lauren Sudworth, Senior Content Strategy Manager at Hootsuite
Content marketing case study
SafeSmartSocial provides digital citizenship assemblies and social media safety training to schools, educators, and parents. They help thousands of families shine online which inspires their customers to want to work with them.
So, how does SafeSmartSocial leverage content marketing to build a pipeline of prospects?
- Share valuable content that answers customer questions SafeSmartSocial recognized that parents and educators had a desire to learn more about popular apps their children were using. So, they created the Parent App Guide which is a free resource that has over 5,500 shares on social media. Each guide includes a 4-minute video and blog post that is geared towards making the reader a digital safety expert.
- Combine and organize content
- Utilize video SafeSmartSocial created a free tool, Footprint Friday, that helps parents monitor their children’s online footprint. In addition, SafeSmartSocial created a short video that explains the importance of monitoring your student’s online footprint and how to use the free tool.
- Host a free Webinar
- Offer a service
- Give away some of the best content Underneath the FAQ video on their service page, SafeSmartSocial shares free video versions of the different services they offer.
- Include social validation
After creating several different Parent App Guides, SafeSmartSocial organized the content so that it is easy for their customers to understand and share. This free content is created for the purpose of helping their audience protect kids online.
On top of all of the other content that SafeSmartSocial creates to help their audience become digital safety experts, they also offer a free webinar. Offering a free webinar in exchange for an email address is a great example of utilizing content marketing to expand your audience.
Instead of selling their service, SafeSmartSocial created a landing page that explains what they do best: training students how to shine online. Below their short explanation they created a video that answers frequently asked questions from potential clients.
On their service page, SafeSmartSocial includes video testimonials as social validation. Collect reviews from real customers who have used the service to give potential customers an insight into what they will get if they purchase.
What the news has to say about content marketing
Without a doubt, content marketing is an excellent method to attract, engage and convert new customers. –The Guardian
- “With short and long term benefits in gaining and retaining customers, [content marketing] is certainly a marketing strategy that you can’t afford to ignore.” –Huffington Post
- “As content marketing gets more successful, it’s going to get more budget dollars and bigger staffs.” –Forbes
- “Content marketing is increasingly becoming an imperative part of every marketer’s strategy.” –IBM
- “Without a doubt, content marketing is an excellent method to attract, engage and convert new customers.” –The Guardian